June 26, 2005

sunday morning shock

each time I sleep past 7.00am, I get woken up by plenty of male voices speaking/shouting/taking orders for coffee in broken English + Thai + Chinese + other unidentified languages. earplugs aren't much use - sometimes am literally shaken awake by e piledrivers - once when they hit some hard rock I fell off my bed....first time in all nine lives that e cat has ever fallen out of bed, & am a self-proclaimed expert at kooning on narrow benches & tabletops & odd-shaped surfaces (have snoozed on one of those round marble Chinese restaurant dining tables & on a dressing mirror table before).

& this morning I saw this swinging past my window when I opened my eyes:

P6260283

maybe e construction firm could lend us a few of those yellow hard hats to wear while we are doing laundry or cooking in our backyard (directly below my window) with all these dangling above our heads....?

photo was taken from this angle (sitting on e floor) cos if I stood up I'd be face to face with 2 grinning construction workers waving hi to me. forgot to close my Zo-card curtains last night....damn heng that they are just below e height at which they can stare at e cat in dreamland.

& then there's e 7.00am-11.00++++pm 7-days-a-week rumble & whirring & creaking & banging & drilling & ROAR of e cranes, earthmovers, piling machines, generators, jackhammers & other heavy equipment that have worked together to crack up e plaster work on e walls & support columns of my house, mis-align all e door frames (not a single door in e house can be closed properly now) & crack e wall & floor tiles. wonder if e construction workers know that I look forward to their lunch-cum-nap times & heavy rain (i.e. stop work = brief respite from noise) as much as they do =P

week & a half ago, found that e main door was once again out of alignment after having already been repaired once by e construction company's contractor....*basket* e deadbolt could no longer slide into e hole in e strike plate, & so e door could not be locked except using e internal sliding type of lock that cannot be opened by keys.

parents were thousands of kilometres & 8 time zones away & all I could find in e big fat toolboxes were e usual all sizes of hammers, screwdrivers, spanners, drill bits, nuts, bolts, screws, nails, allen keys, red/green plastic pieces for inserting into holes drilled in walls, saws, white tape for sealing joints/connections between plumbing parts, dried up superglue, autosol, silicon glue & hundreds of other 'no-idea-what-to-call-it's - I learnt everything from my dad, who calls everything hi1 gai1 那个 (that one) or ji4 gai1' 只个 (this one) in Teochew.

found everything & anything except e file that can be used to file metal (no idea what to call it). & my own file (& big fat screwdriver, test pen & small screwdrivers) has gone into hiding ever since e last time I moved room, so nothing available that could be used to file one side of e hole in e strike plate to widen it such that e deadbolt could fit.

so someone had to stay at home in order to lock & open e door from e inside until e problem was solved when e parents returned. sounds damn silly, but e parents are really so fussy about things that sis & I decided that it was easier for us to wait for them to return than to fix e problem/replace e lock ourselves & get #&$*^$ for choosing a less-than-satisfactory (in e aesthetic sense) lock design/colour/whatever *sheesh*

************

[250605] Moorhuhn X - XXL:

250605

still a long long way from e highest of highscores at 3308, but having loads of fun!

lauweeli, jiayou!! ;)

************

[190605] completed:

P6190281

[ filed under: 9_lives_2005 + art1 ]

No comments: