February 24, 2005

bai tii kong

[160205] night of 8th day of CNY....sis & I got back from late dinner @ e Cheese Prata shop to help set this up:

P2160220

bai4 tii1 kong is a Hokkien tradition I think, done around midnight on e 8th day of e Lunar New Year....on e right are 2 'stalks' of sugarcane complete with leaves & roots, significance is something to do with how e Hokkiens survived by hiding amongst sugarcane plants to escape from enemies (invading Mongols?)....? my mum has forgotten =P

P2160223

these 3 big fat joss sticks gave off a very familiar smell when burnt....smelt exactly like e firewood + bamboo fire that burns in every traditional Akha house - e smell that I woke up to every cold morning on e women's side of e house long before daybreak, that enveloped me while stoking e fire & adding wood & bamboo to keep e flames going to steam e day's worth of rice to feed 8 humans, countless chickens & 5 dogs, & that totally permeated my sleeping bag & clothes =)

P2170228

sis & I still wondering what's in those 3 packets (at bottom)....obviously weren't allowed to tear one open to take a peek before they met their fiery end....

P2170229

[ filed under: 9_lives_2005 ]

No comments: