March 14, 2005

chocolate maths cookie & memory failure

strange nightmarish dream during an evening nap: that I was desperately trying to commmit to memory some method for solving some type of Maths problem that involved writing out e calculations in a sequence that would fill out a circle, such that e answers would form a pattern similar to that of e Mercedes Benz logo. & just as I was about to give up trying to remember it for some test/exam e next day, I flipped open a rectangular box (it was a strange hinged box much like those used to keep mahjong tile sets) of cookies. there were rectangular cookies & round ones, chocolate- & strawberry-coated & sticky chewy & ginger & coconut ones, & one type that was coated in brown (upper half) & reddish (bottom half) chocolate in e same exact pattern as e method for solving e Maths problem. & on seeing that cookie, ta-da! I could remember e method liao & started to discard my notes, some of which were written on foolscap paper with my secondary school's crest at e top & filed in e bright green version of my primary school file with e school crest on e front cover....

scary to revisit that kinda desperation I used to face before Maths & Physics JC common tests when I knew how to solve e problems but simply couldn't remember any of e formulae. & ended up failing everything. think I never scored beyond 28% (lower limit) or 41% (upper limit) for Physics, & was always ranked 600+ out of e 700+ Physics students in my batch on VJC's infamous long2 hu2 bang3, with many of those ranked below me having scored an 'X' grade for being absent from e common test or on MC =P there was one killer common test where plenty of e Physics S paper people also scored in e 40s together with me, & it was a big fat shock for both e students & e tutor who were used to me scoring at least 40% below e rest *grin*

still wonder how I managed to rush between Maths C & Physics remedial classes & Bio & Chem S paper classes on Thursday & Friday afternoons without being 'discovered' by my tattle tale civics tutor & forced to drop subjects by LPM. think I slipped through e cracks somehow. during those remedial classes that e tutors realised that I understood everything fine but could only solve e problems iff I was given a formula sheet. perhaps e tutors realised that there wasn't anything much that they could do &/or gave up on me, so I was told 'exam time just use formula sheet' & released from having to attend remedial classes some time before e study break =)

[ filed under: thewonderingstraycat ]

No comments: