April 07, 2005

naga + hanami

it's e time of e year again for e third character of e straycat's name =)

sakurazensen

cat_0038

those who are sniggering over e fact that I'm named after a PINK flower....*ka-BISH*

10-Q to Mae for correcting me about naga = dragon =) always thought it was more snake (in e biological sense i.e. no limbs) than dragon (always drawn with legs) because of e wood carving of e 'Saturday Buddha' that I have, where e 7-headed naga looks to me like a 7-headed cobra....

Thai Buddhists believe that there is a different Buddha image for each day of e week (2 for Wednesday). I was born on a Saturday, & e 'Saturday Buddha' is Pang Naga Prok (unsure of romanisation), where e Buddha is seated with a 7-headed naga 'hovering' over & protecting him.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/dayofbirth.php - check e day of your birth

http://www.usmta.com/Thai-Birthday.htm - check e corresponding Buddha image

while in Ban Apa, learnt that naga = telephone in e Akha language....think some of e villagers were quite tickled that Naga is e name of one of e guys in e expedition team! =P

big fat 10-Q to all who emailed, called, SMS-ed, MSN-ed & ICQ-ed 'cat day' greetings to me =) have never used my handphone so much in one day before sia =P

about time I start to appreciate it when hawker centre stallholders still call me xiao3 mei4 ;)

[100405] on turning 20, I set this target: to still be able to xia4 yi1 zhi1 ma3 (do a split) & do ce4 shou3 fan1 (cartwheel) when I'm 25....was still able to do both during training today, despite spending e earlier half of 2004 trying to regain flexibility after pulling my hamstring yet again =)

[ filed under: 9_lives_2005 ]

2 comments:

ImC said...

naga malay for dragon also..if i rem correctly..borrowed from the thai language?hmm.

straycat said...

if am not wrong, naga is from sanskrit? found an interesting website: www.himmapan.com =)